Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Emily of the Seas


Well, I've had a little over four days now to pull myself together since Em hopped off the ship in Seattle. It's been a rough week trying to reestablish myself into the monotonous routine that is "Ship Life". Things are much sweeter on the passenger side and even sweeter when you get to share them with someone you love. Here's the recap:

First of all, it was amazing to see Emily again. It was only the second time I'd seen her since leaving LA back on April 1st. We stayed in a really nice cabin that, get this, had a window. SWEET! (Related thought: You'll know something is "off" in your life when you feel lucky to have a window in your room, and when it is dissorienting to wake up to natural light).

Anyway, we had an amazing week highlighted by hikes to the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, and a huge portion of the Reid Falls in Skagway. We took an early morning train ride 26 miles and up 2,800 feet up through the white pass, saw bald eagles, whales, and a bunch of stupid Alaskans. We took ballroom dance and hip hop classes on the ship and saw a bunch of cool shows including the Platters and a couple of B-rate variety acts. We even tried to play shuffleboard when the relative wind speed had to be over 50 knots. HA! And, oh yeah, we ate like royalty!

The food in the dining room is legit and actually having table service is a nice change of pace from the cafeteria lines I've grown accustomed to. We had some bomb alaskan chocolates and some of the best french fries I've ever had.

But honestly, it was just amazing to have a bit of home on the ship. Having Emily here really made me miss LA. And thinking about being off the ship just made me crave a significant trip back east to visit all the family and all my boys back in Philly. So look out for me first quarter 2010...I'm coming to a neighborhood near you (lame).

But all good things must come to an end. And unfortunately, voyage #599 of the Rhapsody of the Seas had to make way for #600. So, after an embarrassingly tearful goodbye to my girl, it was back to the grind. So here I am, doing my thing, singing, dancing, wearing ludicrous costumes and updating my millions of fans on the happenings of my incredibly interesting life. HA.

If you want to check out pictures of my amazing week with Emily they're here on Facebook.

Later
dpl

1 comment:

  1. B-rated?!? The Goucho show made my life!!

    I miss you come home

    ReplyDelete