Friday, July 10, 2009

Big up Alaska


Alaska as a state and part of the U.S. is pretty weak. If it were just some unclaimed wilderness inhabited by cool Eskimos in Igloos it would rule. I mean, it does offer some of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen and some of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been, all of which I’ve discovered in just the past 2 weeks since I’ve started exploring some of the incredible hiking trails that are around in Juneau and Skagway.

In Juneau, which looks like it was transplanted from the set of an old western movie (reference picture), I went on a really cool hike that goes right up to the Mendenhall Glacier. I really can’t describe how cool it is when you get up right next to one of these glaciers. Even when the sun is hidden, the ice seems to glow an iridescent blue hue. It’s almost as if the light were coming from inside the glacier. It’s seriously ridiculous. Check out some of the pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/paysonlewis/JuneauGlacierHike#

Honestly, people need to stop driving SUVs because these things are melting like it’s going out of style. But don’t buy a Prius…just don’t.

In Skagway, there’s this awesome system of hiking trails, which can best be described by these sweet pictures. These are from a hike to the Upper Reid Falls:
http://picasaweb.google.com/paysonlewis/UpperReidFallsHike#
These are from the Upper Dewey Lake and Devil’s Punchbowl:
http://picasaweb.google.com/paysonlewis/UpperDeweyLakeDevilSPunchbowl#

I freaking love hiking out here. It has been an amazing experience. When I was up at the Devil’s Punchbowl, it was so quiet and serene. I hiked up there by myself, and I think that it was the farthest removed I’ve ever been from another living person. It was incredibly humbling; one of those “I’m so small in the grand scheme of things” moments. Pretty lame huh?

Seriously, Alaska is a beautiful place. But also seriously, Alaska is a dumpy state.
dpl

3 comments:

  1. Could you see russia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. those pictures are seriously ridiculous, dpl. so so cool. i'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those pictures are amazing!!!! I can't wait to see everything in person!!

    ReplyDelete