Thursday, August 20, 2009

Saviors of My Sanity


I'm going to try not to talk about how rad Alaska is in this blog for fear of becoming completely one-note. But just because I'm not going to mention it...don't forget it.

Anyway...

With only 4 weeks left up here in the glorious last frontier (HA!), all of us on the ship are doing our best not to lose our minds before we finally escape to Hawaii and destinations tropical! I just wanted to make a quick shout out to those things which have to this point kept me in the black in my fight against insanity.

1. Seasons 2-4 of Lost
Yeah...shut up. I'm only about 3 or 4 years behind on this stuff. I've still got season 4 to go, But Charlie just sacrificed himself...and it's NOT PENNY'S BOAT. Oh god. (PS. If this show ends with less than 123618726381 plot holes...it will be the most miraculous job of writing of all time)

2. Books
Remember these things? Apparently they were really cool before TV and stuff. And since we only get FOX News and TNT ("We Know Dumpy TV")...Books are back.

3. Badmouthing Alaska
Ok. I couldn't do it. An entire entry with no digs on Alaska...for sure not! So here's what I've got this week:
Because of some nasty weather, my ship had to change up its itinerary this week and we hit up a new port, Ketchican. Trying to make the most of my one and only day ever in, wherever we were, I checked out the famed "Lumberjack" show and took a "Wild"life tour. Unfortunately, when I went to these attractions, they didn't have the convenient quotation marks I have added above.
The "Lumberjack" show was actually really fun. But, these dopes weren't real lumberjacks. They were recent graduates of obviously low caliber colleges, because they came to Ketchican for the entire summer to pretend to be lumberjacks. But like I said, it was actually really hilarious and a bunch of fun. Go here. See it.
Then there was the "Wild"life tour. I saw a nest of Bald Eagles (sitting on a tree next to a house, over a busy street) saw another bald eagle (sitting on a metal gate next to the same busy street) then I saw a bear (right next to a fish hatchery, located on, yup, a busy street). So yeah...I saw some life...but it was about as wild as discovering a racoon in your dumpster. Evidently wild is a relative term here in Alaska. Pictures.

4. Counting down to Hawaii
4 weeks away....4 weeks away...4 weeks away...

5. dpl

No comments:

Post a Comment